miércoles, 11 de mayo de 2011

Unit 6 “Conditionals”

First conditional
If + present simple, will + infinitive OR Will + infinitive if + present simple
·         If you don’t eat the right foods, you won’t perform as well.
-We use the first conditional:
- to talk about possible or probable future events.
- to make promises and give warnings.
Second Conditional
If + past simple, would + infinitive OR Would + infinitive if + past simple
·         If I were you, I’d take up a sport.
-We use the second conditional to talk about hypothetical (imaginary and improbable) present and future situations.
Third conditional
If + past conditional, would have + past participle OR Would have + past participle if + past perfect
·         If they’d eaten the right food, the probably would have performed better.
-We use the third conditional to talk about hypothetical past events (events which did not happen).
Wishes and regrets
If only / I wish + simple past

Use:
-To express a wish in the present or in the future.
-The simple past here is an unreal past.
- When you use the verb to be the form is “were”.
EX:
·         I wish I were a millionaire

If only / I wish + past perfect

Use:
-To express a regret
- The action is past
EX:
·         If only I had woken up early.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario