miércoles, 11 de mayo de 2011

Tema 5 "The passive"

The passive
The passive voice is used when focusing on the person or thing affected by an action.
The passive is formed: Sujeto + verbo auxiliar ("to be") + participio pasado
  • The speech is written for the president.
  • The house was built in 1975.
  • My wallet has been stolen.
  • The room will be cleaned while we are out.
By­ + agent
We are normally not interested in the "doer" of an action in a passive sentence. When we want to mention the "doer", we use the preposition by. The whole phrase is called by-agent in English.
Active sentence: Mr Brown built the house.
Passive sentence: The house was built by Mr Brown.
When we do not know, who was the "doer" of the action, we use someone or somebody in the active sentence. We leave out these words in the passive sentence.
Active sentence: Someone stole my bike.
Passive sentence: My bike was stolen.

Have/get something done
Have something donean d Get something done are both used to refer to actions which are done for
the subject rather than by the subject. Causative verbs are used instead of passive verbs to show that the
subject causes the action to be done
Have something done
-I don´t know how to repair cars, so I´m having mine repaired at the garage round the corner.
Get something done
-I really must get my eyes tested. I´m sure I need glasses.
-Get your hair cut!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario